More Trees Please! Nebraska Forest Service Tree Care Workshops
Are you a fan of all things trees? The Nebraska Forest Service will be holding a tree care workshop in Lincoln on Thursday, March 28th covering a wide range of topics presented by our expert staff PLUS nursery professionals, arborists, and other knowledgeable Nebraska tree professionals!
Registration cost is $25. Register online: nfs.unl.edu/workshops
Lunch is included in registration. Registration deadline is March 26th, 2019.
Doors open at 8:30, workshop begins at 9:00am.
Lincoln, Thursday, March 28 (9am-3pm) – Hillcrest Country Club, 9401 O Street
Omaha, Friday, March 29 (9am-3pm) – National Park Service MW Regional Office, 601 Riverfront Dr.
- The Value of Trees: Why We Care (or should care). Most people like trees and yet canopy continues to decline in many of our communities. This session will remind us how important trees are while summarizing some of the challenges trees face in the community forest.
- Green Industry & Wood Utilization Perspectives
Nursery, arborist and wood utilization professionals will cover some of the rewards and challenges they face in providing trees, managing them and utilizing those that have died.
- Tree Health (or lack thereof): A myriad of tree health concerns will be summarized including emerging diseases and insect pests and the growing concern of herbicide damage.
- Some of Our Favorite Trees: Over 200 species of trees grow in Nebraska and yet less than 20 species dominate our planted forests. A few tree huggers will highlight some of their favorite trees with the goal of improving tree diversity.
- Nebraska’s Champion Tree Program: Big trees naturally catch our attention. This presentation will cover some of the big trees in Nebraska and explain how Nebraska’s champion tree program works.
- Optional Outdoor Activity: Come outside (weather permitting) to see how a potential tree champion is measured in Lincoln or to help evaluate street trees planted in Omaha.
Organizers and Presenters: Justin Evertson, Graham Herbst, Laurie Stepanek & Eric Berg of Nebraska Forest Service. Plus nursery professionals, arborists, and other more!
Audience participation will be encouraged. Please come prepared to share thoughts and opinions.